Sunday, February 1, 2009

Social Networking with a Difference

I am going to make it a point to add some fancy gadget/zhng (upgrade) my blog every time I post. Maybe this will get me some momentum and after awhile, this place will start looking more like a blog.

Today I will begin by sharing a video with you. I can't seem to embed it so I'll just post the link.

http://en.eyeka.com/video/view/409308-Ammado-animation-MP4-web

Imagine having the ability to make a difference in the world at the touch of a button. Imagine being able to stay connected with the organisations that reach out to the people who really need help. I have to admit that I'm not a particularly enthusiastic donor myself, having been a part of our "hey-I-need-CIP-hours-so-lets-do-flag-day" system. But this ties in very much with what I'm interested in... Social Entrepreneurship. It seems as though Ammado has managed to create a platform to benefit non-profit organisations whilst earning revenue through providing software-as-a-service to companies.

I will briefly talk about what Ammado is about, if you are interested to find out more please log on to their website.

Ammado is a social networking site with a difference. It has all the bells and whistles of a regular social networking site not unlike Facebook and Friendster, but it has one additional function - the ability to make donations to its member non-profit organisations at the touch of a button.

It has a feature called the Ammado Giving Circle. It basically records your donations and categorises them into various causes, E.g. Medical, education, environmental etc. This allows your friends to see what causes and non-profits you have donated to.

Ammado also allows non-profit organisations to interact with their doners, giving them thank-you messages or uploading videos and photos of their recent projects. It makes donating much more personal and tangible, when you can see the results of your charity.

From a social entrepreneurship standpoint, the possibilities of Ammado are endless. Different types of projects can spin off from this. Mini ones include having a group of volunteers set up an account and maintaining it for their adopted non-profit organisation until they are ready to take over. Large scale projects could include consolidating all the smaller non-profit organisations and organising a charity drive through Ammado to raise awareness of both their causes and this new donation facility.

My gut tells me that Singaporeans might be more wary of making donations online since the recent charity scandals. However, I believe Ammado might be on to something new... online micro donations. A quick google search will show you the potential of this method of fundraising.

Perhaps one day online donations will become the modus operandi for fundraising in Singapore. But until then, there's always the metal tins held by students along Orchard Road to go to.

Terence Tham

No comments:

Post a Comment