Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Where is our creativity?

I just had my Marketing 101 class today and we got to check out advertisements. We've got some really creative minds behind some of the advertisements out there... Unfortunately, not so much in Singapore. Compared to some of the adverts that air overseas, Singapore's creative adverts fall short.

There is a very interesting trend though. Our government services tend to have very creative adverts. At least they are more witty than many commercial ones. At least they don't remind me of a poorly done powerpoint slideshow with tacky taglines and bad voiceovers.

Here are afew good examples, though I'm sure there are more good ones out there.

I thought this was quite funny. Saw it at Marina Square.



Very chilling advert, definitely gets the message across.


Our armed forces has a series of very interesting commercials. I wonder whether these adverts are effective in their recruitment.

They are definitely doing something right. I hope corporates out there take the hint and stop using crappy adverts. Take a hint from our government agencies! Spend some money on good adverts!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, yes, the first one I've seen before at a bus stop and it really amused me. "Low crime doesn't mean no crime" really hit me for some reason. Even though they are only just stating the obvious, it really does emphasize how you shouldn't take Singapore's known level of safety for granted.

    The gambling advert I saw numerous times last semester and the first time I saw it I was definitely impressed with their efforts. After all it was made by one of Singapore's best Creative Directors, Patrick Low.

    It's true that Singapore's government has a lot of creative people in marketing, and coincidentaly enough, I've heard from Singaporeans that the Navy has the best adverts out of all the sectors of NS.

    Another example is Singapore Tourism Board. Last semester I remember a few exchange students saying that Singapore wasn't as good as they thought it would be (sorry, just retelling what I've heard), and that STB gave such a great impression of Singapore but they were slightly disappointed =S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen,

    That's really sad, that exchange students are disappointed. What exactly are they disappointed at?

    On another note, SMU just got awarded best international host for foreign students by STB. Someone must be doing something right =)

    ReplyDelete