Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I got a B- instead of an A?... oh it's Facebook's fault.

Alright, the word is out. Facebook is officially messing with your grades! Quick! Delete your account!

Okay, I'm joking, but only a little bit. I can imagine all the Facebook addicts going "delete... facebook...? How.. How will I live? Where will I see pictures of my friends? Where else can I type random and useless information about what I'm currently doing!?"

There have been several articles recently on the effects of facebook. Check this one out. On today's daily alerts (something here at SMU), an article published in "The Chronical of Higher Education" seems to be singing a similar tune.

I quote:

Notes to students: surfing in class lowers test scores

A professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder has found that students who used their laptops for non-classroom activities, like updating their Facebook pages fared worse than their peers. In the face of this, some law schools have banned laptops from classrooms and even created laptop-free zones.

The Chronicle of Higher Education, p A14

So maybe the creation of Facebook was just a ploy to lower the grade point averages of schools all around the world! *snigger* Well I'm not a frequent Facebook user, so unfortunately for me, I cannot blame Facebook for my crappy grades. But for the rest of you, at least there's a convenient excuse.

Before you scoff at these articles and dismiss them, take a look at your own Facebooking habits... It might not be that far from the truth after all...

3 comments:

  1. yo! ... long time no meet man ... actually i wanted to msg you on facebook, but i saw this line saying tt u are not a frequent facebook user. haha! whens school starting for you? i have already contacted ben, hopefully can meet up for a meal or something soon?

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But I dare wager that if I were to approach any SMU student and ask them whether they would rather be somewhere else, none of them will say yes."

    http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2385

    I have many friends that regret going to SMU, just fyi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, so i'll take u up on your wager! ;)

    ReplyDelete